Why we selected the Children’s Center for Cancer and Blood Diseases at Ventura County Medical Center:
● Cancer remains the #1 disease killer of children in the USA.
● Current and former NCLVCJ members have had children with this destructive disease.
● Each year, more than 40 new cases of pediatric cancer are diagnosed in Ventura County, alone, in addition to a large number of hematology patients with diseases of the blood needing specialized care. This year, the program expects nearly 2,000 patient visits.
The History of our Philanthropy:
● The CCCBD is a joint project between Children’s Center for Cancer and Blood Diseases, Children’s Hospital Los Angeles, and VCMC.
● Currently, the Ventura County CCCBD is the only cancer treatment facility for children and adolescents in Ventura County.
● Before the CCCBD opened, children in Ventura County had to travel to Los Angeles to receive primary care for children’s cancer and blood disorders.
● Research shows that patients and families fare much better during medical care and lengthy treatments without a long commute.
● The mission of the CCCBD is to provide state-of the-art consultation and care for children and adolescents with cancer and blood diseases in the mid-coastal region of California.
● In 2007, the Children’s Center for Cancer and Blood Diseases opened the CCCBD at VCMC and employed its first full-time board-certified Pediatric Hematologist/ Oncologist, Dr. Francisco Bracho. In addition, three full-time nurse specialists, a medical assistant and a research liaison, and a pediatric licensed social worker.
● In October of 2010, VCMC Pediatric Hematology & Oncology Program moved to the VCMC Ambulatory Care Building on the VCMC Campus. The new location has more than doubled the space available and capacity for services. With the expansion of this Program they have an increased need for equipment and staffing, increasing the need for funding which NCLVCJ helps to provide.
Through our fundraising efforts and our supporters’ generous donations, we have raised over $1,600,000 over the past 13 years for our noteworthy causes.
The National Charity League Juniors of Ventura is also working to implement a Ronald McDonald Family Room located at VCMC as part of their hospital re-purposing, started in 2017.